Monday, May 31, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama

We are home!  It certainly seemed longer coming back than it did going, I guess because even though we were ready to come home, our big adventure was coming to an end.
 I have no pictures to post, Paige wouldn't let me take any.  She said she wanted to remember all the fun things we did, not the end of the trip. 
Our flight was uneventful (a good thing) but the one thing I would caution any travelers to do (which I was just darn lucky I did because I had not seen it posted in any of my research before our trip) is to keep all of your receipts.  All of them.
Maybe it was my packing skills and our ability to get all our things in two carry on sized bags even though we were there two weeks or maybe it was because we were not part of a tour group of any kind, or maybe, just maybe, I look suspicious, but we (no really just me) were grilled and put to the fire by security at check-in upon leaving Zurich. 
They wanted to know where we had been, what we had done and what was the purpose of our traveling.  They wanted to see receipts for hotels and train travel to the various locations mentioned.  I had the documentation to provide them but it took the okay of the security supervisor to get us through to check in and obtain our boarding pass. 
It was a bit scary but I am certainly glad for the precautions set in place by both the airlines and our own country and the security personnel of others to keep us all safe while we travel.  Poor Paige was terrified.  I kept having to explain that it is their job to intimidate you and make you flustered so that if you are trying to do something to harm anyone on the flight, it will show during the interview.  All was good and we got our boarding pass and proceeded to the gate.
As luck would have it (or technology would) I then got "randomly" selected for an "at gate" security check of my belongings and my person (i.e. Airport pat down by security).  Again, I was happy to comply and hope the security officer that had to go through my bag was not too offended by the dirty laundry I was bringing home with me but I was again reminded that I would much rather go through any inconvenience such as this than even think about putting my daughter on a flight where they were more worried about inconveniencing the passengers than ensuring their safety. 
The flight itself was great and passed by pretty quickly with some great movies (kudos Delta Airlines).  We watched The Blind Side, Dear John, and The Young Victoria.  Paige got to sleep and we happily landed in Atlanta ahead of schedule. 
Tim was there to meet us at the gate and Paige didn't stop talking the entire drive home telling him all the things I think she had already told him when we spoke each night.  I guess she really enjoyed the trip. I hope so, that's why we went and I wouldn't have changed a thing.  Thanks to all for enjoying it with us!  Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment